Green Olive Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives (not pimento-stuffed), drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- In a small food processor, process the sunflower seeds until very fine. Remove 1 1/2 teaspoons of the processed seeds and place in a small bowl, save the remainder for another use. Clean the bowl of the food processor. Add the olives and process until pureed.
- To the olives in the processor, add back the 1 1/2 teaspoons sunflower seeds and all the remaining ingredients except the mayonnaise. Process well to fully combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the olive mixture and the mayonnaise until well blended. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve at room temperature.