Best Mashed Potato Recipes Ever
A holiday meal isn't complete without a bowl of hot creamy mashed potatoes. Over the years we’ve amassed a collection of recipes that feature America’s most versatile vegetable mashed with a variety of ingredients creating a smorgasbord of flavors. Whether you spice up your potatoes with jalapenos or chipotles or prefer a more traditional dish with cream, butter and a little garlic, there are a few tips from the experts that are must-do’s to for perfecting any mashed potato recipe:
• To ensure your potatoes cook evenly, cut them into similar sizes and place in a pot of cold water, gradually bringing the water to a boil.
• Add a bouillon cube to the boiling water. Save the liquid when you drain the potatoes and add some of it while mashing as a calorie-free flavor enhancer.
• Bring butter and milk to room temperature before adding them to your Idaho® potatoes to help keep the mixture hot while mashing.
• Try mashing your potatoes with buttermilk instead of milk or cream. Buttermilk tastes like sour cream but has less fat and calories.
• Add more milk and leave out the butter for reduced-fat mashed potatoes.
• Over-mashing your Idaho® potatoes will result in gluey and sticky potatoes.
• Add fresh herbs, spices, minced vegetables or grated cheese to boost the flavor and color of your Idaho® potatoes.
• For fluffier mashed potatoes, add ½ teaspoon of baking power to the mixture while mashing. Allow the potatoes to sit a few minutes before serving.
• Three medium potatoes will make approximately two cups of mashed potatoes.