Whipped Idaho® Potatoes with Basil Oil
- 5 Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 2 1/2 cups hot milk
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Garnish:
- Cracked black pepper
- Basil Oil (see recipe)
- For the Basil Oil:
- 2 bunches fresh basil
- 2 1/2 cups virgin olive oil
- Steam or boil the potatoes in lightly salted water (if boiling, less milk may be needed) until for tender, approximately 30 minutes. Drain.
- Place potatoes in mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer on "whip" or in a Kitchen Aid mixer with whip attachment. Slowly start beating potatoes, gradually adding the hot milk. When milk is mixed in, slowly drizzle in olive oil and follow the melted butter, salt and pepper. Garnish with pepper, Basil Oil and chives. Serve immediately.
- Plunge basil into an ample amount of boiling salted water for 20 to 30 seconds, and shock in lightly salted ice bath. Squeeze all water out thoroughly.
- Put basil in standard blender and cover with 1/2 cup olive oil. Run blender on "high" and gradually add remaining olive oil as the mixture is blending.
- Pour into glass bottle or jar and leave to decant for one day. Strain basil puree off through cheesecloth or fine sieve and store in refrigerator.
Yield: 4-6 Servings