Mashed Idaho® Potatoes with Roasted Parsnips and Caramelized Onions
- 4 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of caramelized onions, or 4 large Spanish onions caramelized
- 5 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4-6 tablespoons of butter
- 1½ cup of cream, warmed
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Fill a large stock pot with cool water and a large pinch of salt, then add the potatoes while the water is cool to ensure even cooking, then bring to a rolling boil and cook until fork tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- At the same time, lay your parsnips on a large baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast them in the oven at 375°F for 25 minutes, or until they are fork tender and golden brown. Once done, add them to a food processor and blitz them until they are crumbly.
- While the potatoes and parsnips cook, add 1 tablespoon of butter to a warm frying pan and then gently melt it before adding the sliced onions; If the onions are not fully coated in the butter, add a bit more. Increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are delicate and caramelized about 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the remaining butter at the bottom and then top with hot potatoes and mash just enough to break up the cubes and blend the butter across the bowl. Then slowly add the warm cream fold the blend together. Finish with a potato ricer to ensure that the mashed potatoes are nice and creamy.
- Once creamed, add the parsnip crumble and caramelized onions and delicately fold them into the mashed potatoes. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings