Aligot (Cheesy Mashed Potatoes)
Aligot is the ultimate cheesy mashed potato recipe blending almost equal parts cheese and potato. It's luxurious, rich, and the perfect combination of silky mashed potatoes with creamy melted cheese.
- 2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 5 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Litehouse® freeze-dried garlic
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp., sliced into tablespoon portions
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt (+ salt for cooking water)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Litehouse® freeze-dried chives
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a big pinch of salt to the water. The water should taste a little salty.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat and cook for 15 – 18 minutes, or until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat cream over low heat in a small saucepot and add freeze-dried garlic to the cream.
- Drain potatoes and push through a potato ricer while still hot.
- Over low heat, stir potatoes with a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula for one minute to let some of the moisture evaporate.
- Stir in half of the butter, half of the cheeses and half of the warm garlic cream. Add salt and pepper. Continue stirring until cheese has melted.
- Stir in remaining butter, cream, and cheese. Stir vigorously until smooth and stretchy.
- Garnish with freeze-dried chives and serve hot.