Idaho® Potato Pancakes Perfect for Every Holiday Celebration
Old Fashioned Potato Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of MrFood.com
- 4 medium-sized Idaho® baking potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and shredded or grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Place potatoes and onion in a strainer and press down on them with the back of a large spoon to extract excess moisture. If they’re still watery, wrap them in a clean dish towel and squeeze to extract the remaining moisture.
- Place in a large bowl and add the egg; mix well. Gradually add the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper, mixing well.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil then drop 1/2 cup batter for each pancake onto the skillet, being careful not to crowd skillet. Fry pancakes 5 to 6 minutes, until golden on both sides, turning halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Note: If you prefer your potato pancakes really crispy, fry them until they're flecked with brown.