Idaho Potato Commission Introduces New Digital Recipe Database
EAGLE, Idaho, July 22, 2013—The Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) today announced the launch of a new and improved recipe database on www.idahopotato.com, which will feature over 900 ways to prepare America’s favorite vegetable and introduce new categories, search and social media sharing functions. The improvements were designed to meet consumer demand and introduce creative new ways to prepare everything from summer salads and heart-healthy desserts, to gluten-free dishes and easy-to-make appetizers.
“Since the launch of www.idahopotato.com in 1997, recipes have been one of our most popular features,” explained Frank Muir, President & CEO, IPC. “Approximately half of all visitors to the site are now actively searching for recipes and staying 69% longer than the average website visitor. We are excited about the new content and visual improvements to the site, which will make it easier for visitors to research and share new ways to prepare Idaho® potatoes.”
The new and exciting website features include:
- A visual representation of dishes with a photo-centric layout.
- An updated search function based on preparation method and course.
- A pop-up feature suggesting recipes based on search history.
- The ability to share recipes across social media platforms.
The IPC is also offering options for health-conscious consumers, with an entire category devoted to heart-healthy recipes that meet the American Heart Association’s stringent nutritional standards. Additionally, the IPC is also building a database of recipes to address the growing number of gluten-sensitive consumers- reminding them that naturally gluten-free Idaho® potatoes are an excellent alternative.
The IPC will also rollout a steady stream of new programs throughout the year to keep the recipe database fresh and current, including:
- Recipe of the Month Photo Contest: This IPC contest encourages consumers to test a selection of Idaho® potato recipes, submit a photograph of their efforts and and enter to win a $500 cash prize.
- Annual Consumer Contests: Last year’s annual IPC consumer recipe contest saw the IPC partnering with Mr. Food Test Kitchen and fitness expert, Denise Austin, to sponsor a heart-healthy recipe contest for Potato Lover’s Month and National Heart Month, with the top ten finalists vying for $2,500.
- Foodservice Advertising: Nationally renowned chefs develop recipes promoting the versatility of Idaho® potatoes through inspiring recipes and photographs, which the IPC features in print ads and an annual calendar that is distributed to more than 40,000 foodservice operators nationwide.
Please visit www.idahopotato.com for other exciting information about sponsorships, promotions, fun facts about Idaho® potatoes and much more.
About the Idaho Potato Commission
Established in 1937, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) is a state agency that is responsible for promoting and protecting the famous “Grown in Idaho®” seal, a federally registered trademark that assures consumers they are purchasing genuine, top-quality Idaho® potatoes. Idaho’s growing season of warm days and cool nights, ample mountain–fed irrigation and rich volcanic soil, give Idaho® potatoes their unique texture, taste and dependable performance. These ideal growing conditions are what differentiate Idaho® potatoes from potatoes grown in other states.
# # #