Vegan Vegetable Cakes
Turn leftover Grilled Cajun Potato Wedges into vegan vegetable cakes for a tasty side dish or appetizer.
Read Cheryl's full post, including more photos, here.
- 1½ cups grilled potato wedges, diced small
- 1 shallot or ½ medium red onion, diced
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 5 tablespoons water
- Oil for frying
Cajun spice blend:
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- In a medium bowl, combine potatoes, shallot (or onion), corn, peas, garlic, flour, panko, baking powder and spice blend. Toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds with water. After one minute, they should begin to gel. Add them to the potato mixture at this point.
- Using a large mixing spoon or rubber spatula, thoroughly incorporate chia seeds into potato mixture.
- In a large sauté pan, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat oil over medium heat.
- Using a 2-ounce scoop or ¼ cup measure, portion mixture into 12 patties.
- Pack the mixture tightly with your hands and gently place into the hot oil.
- Cook for 4–5 minutes per side.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce, if desired.
Batch Cooking to Make Meal Prep Easy
Batch cooking cuts down on time but definitely not on flavor – especially when you make this easy Cajun spice blend that you just might want to put on everything!
This series started with an extra big batch of Grilled Cajun Potato Wedges (recipe below) and then we're using the leftovers to make these addictive Vegan Veggie Cakes. Round out the recipe trio with a fast dinner of Grilled Cajun Shrimp and Potato Skewers!