Tempeh, Idaho® Potato and Kale Bowl
From the first time, I made this layered dish, it has become a household favorite. It’s great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The potatoes are slightly smoky, the greens have a garlicky bite and the tempeh has a slightly sweet and spicy tone. All the liquid will not be absorbed by the tempeh, so I suggest giving it a quick panfry right before serving.
- 1 (28-oz [794-g]) bag new or baby Idaho® Potatoes, cut into quarters
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce, to taste)
- 1 (8-oz [255-g]) package tempeh, cut into small cubes (or *use hemp tofu)
- 4 cups (64 g) chopped kale
- 2 tablespoon (10 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the potato layer, add 1½ cups (355 ml) water to your Instant Pot, add a vegetable steamer and spread out the potatoes.
- For the tempeh layer, add all the tempeh ingredients to a short Pyrex pan and toss to coat. Cover with foil and place on the potatoes.
- For the kale layer, mix the kale, nutritional yeast, water and garlic together in a mixing bowl, transfer to a short Pyrex pan, cover with foil and place on top of the dish containing the tempeh. If you like your tempeh less cooked, wrap in foil, then put in the Pyrex.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid and carefully lift out the pans.
- For the potato seasoning, toss the potatoes in a large bowl with the paprika, then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl in layers or on a plate. Either way, it’s a meal that can’t be beat!
Note: I use a Pyrex 3-cup (700-ml) small rectangular pan for this. You can fit two on top of the rack included with your Instant Pot and you can even store the leftovers right in the cooking containers! Be sure to take a look at “Accessory Resources” on my blog, HealthySlowCooking.com, for more options.