Smashed Garlic Potatoes with Rosemary
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary - a simple delicious vegan side dish, perfect for the holiday table or anytime.
- 2 pounds red or Yukon Idaho® potatoes (2- 2½ inched diameter), or enough to fill your skillet with space for smashing.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4-6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, or your favorite herbs, like sage or thyme, or a mix!
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chili pepper or Aleppo chili flakes, to taste
- Place whole potatoes in a large pot and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 20-30 minutes depending on size. You want these fairly tender, so they are easy to smash. Drain and let cool. You can do this ahead of time and store them in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 400F°.
- Smash the potatoes until relatively flattened, about an inch thick, using a potato masher or bottom of a skillet.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic cloves and herbs and swirl the oil around until the herbs are fragrant and the garlic is golden. Set aside.
- Season the fragrant herbed garlic oil in the pan with salt and pepper and swirl.
- Add the smashed potatoes leaving room to maneuver. Season the top with salt and pepper.
- Fry each side of the potatoes until crispy and deeply golden, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to do these in two batches. Add more oil if you need, when you flip.
- Keep them warm in the oven, while doing the second batch. When done pile all the potatoes in the skillet.
- Chop up the golden garlic cloves and sprinkle with the herbs over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve.
Saturated Fat: 2g
Trans Fat: 0g