Loaded Baked Idaho® Potato Soup
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 onion, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock or base
- 5 Idaho® baking potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch chives, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Sour cream (one dollop per bowl)
- Turn on stove to medium heat. Place a large sauce pot on the heat and add the butter to the pan; when the butter melts, add the bacon for about 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and cook until transparent.
- Add the flour and constantly stir to create a roux. Add the chicken stock and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. After the potatoes have been boiling for 35 to 45 minutes they should become tender.
- Add the heavy cream, turn down the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chives to the pot. Use a stick mixer to blend everything together.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, scallions and sour cream. Serve.