Mexican Potato and Cheese Soup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 4 each green chili, peeled, seeded, diced
- 4 each Idaho® potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- 1 cup chorizo, diced (optional)
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- In stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chilies and sauté another 1 minute.
- Stir in diced potatoes and cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and heat through.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are just tender but not soft.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cilantro and scallions just before serving. (Chorizo may be added at this point also, if desired.)
- To serve: Ladle 1 cup of soup into bowl and sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon crumbled cheese over top and granish with cilantro sprig, if desired.