Ted’s Bulletin Shepherd’s Pie Tart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt to taste
- Recipe for favorite pie dough
- 2-3 beaten eggs
Ingredients for mashed potatoes:
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Ingredients for glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté carrots in olive oil until barely tender. Add the onions and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add meat to the pan, season with black pepper and thyme. Cook until browned. Drain the fat from the mixture.
- Add the butter and peas. Sprinkle with flour and stir thoroughly.
- Add the tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
- Reduce slightly, then add the beef stock. Allow mixture to reduce until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season with salt to taste. Let cool.
- Roll out pie dough to approximately ⅛˝ thick. Cut into 3˝ x 5˝ rectangles.
- Spoon or pipe 2-3 ounces meat mixture into the middle of one rectangle. Brush another rectangle with beaten eggs, and place on top of the filling, pressing the dough together around the edges with a fork to seal.
- Continue with other rectangles until all the filling is used.
- Brush finished tarts with glaze and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- To serve heat oven to 400°F. Pipe mashed potatoes on top of the tart and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until potatoes are nicely browned.