Ted’s Bulletin Shepherd’s Pie Tart
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt to taste
- Recipe for favorite pie dough
- 2-3 beaten eggs
Ingredients for mashed potatoes:
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Ingredients for glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Over medium high heat, sauté carrots in olive oil until barely tender. Add the onions and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add meat to the pan, season with black pepper and thyme. Cook until browned. Drain the fat from the mixture.
- Add the butter and peas. Sprinkle with flour and stir thoroughly.
- Add the tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well.
- Reduce slightly, then add the beef stock. Allow mixture to reduce until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season with salt to taste. Let cool.
- Roll out pie dough to approximately 1/8" thick. Cut into 3" x 5" rectangles.
- Spoon or pipe 2-3 ounces meat mixture into the middle of one rectangle. Brush another rectangle with beaten eggs, and place on top of the filling, pressing the dough together around the edges with a fork to seal.
- Continue with other rectangles until all the filling is used.
- Brush finished tarts with glaze, and baked for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- To serve: heat oven to 400°F. Pipe mashed potatoes on top of the tart and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until potatoes are nicely browned.