Idaho® Russet Potato Ravioli with Chile Beef Short Rib
- Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons New Mexican chiles, ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile, dried
- 1 tablespoon black tellicherry pepper, freshly ground
- 1 boneless beef short rib, about 12 ounces, trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large Idaho Russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- To Taste
- Smoked Salt
- Vegetable Stock or water
- Oil to fry in
- Chile Chimichurri Salsa
- 1 tablespoon chile oil
- 1 cup baby bell sweet peppers, multi-colored, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, snipped
- In a small bowl combine the seasoning blend. Use half of the seasoning to thoroughly coat the short rib. Reserve under refrigeration.
- In a small skillet heat the 1/4 cup of oil and the remaining seasoning blend, for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. In a deep small skillet heat a few drops of oil. Place the seasoned short rib into the pan, cooking until well seared on all sides, about 5 minutes. Cover with the vegetable stock, season with salt to taste. Bring to a simmer. Cover the surface with foil and seal with a lid. Transfer to the oven, cooking until tender, about 1 3/4 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Remove the short rib from the liquid. Cut the short rib into 16 square nuggets about 1-inch by 1-inch by 1/4-inch thick. Cover with the braising liquid to keep warm.
- With a mandoline or mechanical slicer cut the potato paper thin, width-wise, into large round slices. Select 32 of the best slices. In a skillet of salted boiling water blanch the potato slices until al dente, firm to the bite, but not falling apart. Transfer individually to a buttered parchment lined sheet pan. Reserve.
- Take half of the remaining potato slices and cut into fine julienne strips, frying until crisp. Transfer to bowl lined with paper towel to hold. Season with a little of the spice blend and sea salt. Take the remaining potato slices and cook in boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove to a colander and drain. Transfer to a ricer and press into a mixer.
- Whip the potatoes with 4 tablespoons of butter, seasoning with the smoked salt to taste. Reserve warm.
- Spoon a little potato puree in the center of 16 prepared potato slices. Position a portion of shredded short rib atop the potato purée. Cover with another prepared potato slice to make 16 ravioli, 4 per serving. Brush the top potato slice with melted butter and season with smoked salt. Reserve until ready to serve.
- Chile Chimichurri Salsa
- Heat chile oil over medium heat in a non stick pan. Add the sweet peppers cooking until al dente. Remove from the heat. Season with the vinegar, honey, smoked salt and half of the chives. Reserve at room temperature.
- Place the potato ravioli in the middle rack of the oven cooking until heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using a small spatula to transfer, artistically arrange 4 ravioli per large serving coupe. Drizzle a little of the remaining chile oil around the ravioli. Spoon a little Chile Chimichurri Salsa atop each ravioli. Position the crispy julienne potatoes and sliced baby bell peppers atop the ravioli. Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Palm Springs, CA