Idaho® Potato Tot Casserole
- 3 bunches fresh kale, chopped; or 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved; or 1 1/2 cups fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Tater Tots (see below)
- Cheddar Mornay Sauce (see below)
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 Idaho® Russet potatoes, unpeeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup potato starch
- as needed canola oil for frying
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, diced or shredded
- In a medium frying pan over low heat, sauté kale, tomatoes or corn in olive oil until wilted and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a few spoonful’s of vegetables into each of 6 ceramic ramekins. Add 4 tater tots on top of the vegetables in each. Cover with a dollop (about 3 tablespoons) of Mornay sauce. Add a slice of Cheddar to the top of the ramekin and place in a warm oven until the cheese melts. Serve warm.
- Put potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and boil until cooked through.
- Drain and let cool to room temperature. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skins and place potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Gently crumble potatoes by hand. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and potato starch. Mix gently.
- Form into 1-inch tots and fry in a deep fryer with canola oil until golden and crisp. Keep warm until assembling casserole.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, then whisk in flour to form a roux. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Add salt and cheese and whisk until cheese is fully melted. If the sauce is too thick, add up to 1 cup warm water to reach desired consistency. Keep warm until assembling casserole.