Idaho® Potato and Goat Cheese Pierogies
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon, plus salt as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water, warm
- 2 each Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled, boiled
- 3/4 cup goat cheese, softened
- 1 each red onion, small, minced, sautéed
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper as needed
- 1 each onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Thyme, chopped as needed
- 1 each egg, beaten with fork
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 cup truffle crème fraîche
- Truffle crème fraîche
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 1 teaspoon black truffle, chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
- For dough, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and baking powder in bowl and mix well.
- Add canola oil, sour cream and water to flour mixture, and knead by hand or with dough hook in a standing mixer for 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve dough.
- For filling, mash potatoes, place in an oven to dry, then remove from oven and reserve to cool.
- Mix mashed potatoes, goat cheese, red onion and chives. Add cream as needed to adjust consistency; mixture should feel like stiff mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reserve.
- Cook sliced onion with butter very slowly in a pan over low heat until caramelized. Season with salt, pepper and chopped thyme and reserve.
- Roll dough into 1/8-inch-thick sheets, then cut out 2-inch circles. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling onto each circle and fold into half-moon shape. Seal each pierogi with beaten egg.
- Gently sauté 2 pierogies in olive oil. Top with onions and truffled crème fraîche and serve.
Truffle crème fraîche
- Combine all ingredients and reserve.