Idaho® Potato Caramel Cake
- ⅔ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (from one large Idaho® baked or steamed russet potato)
- 1 cup (3 ½ ounces) grated chocolate
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely chopped nuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and spices in a bowl.
- Place butter and sugar in a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the milk and potatoes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remaining whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
Yield: 1 – 9 x 13 cake