Sophia Pizza of Thinly Sliced Potatoes, Pancetta, Rosemary, Olive Oil
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rosemary, fresh, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 3 ounces pancetta, 1/2-inch dice
- Flour, as needed
- 2 1/4 pounds pizza dough
- 1 1/4 cup Pecorino Sardo, shredded
Pizza Dough (Yield 2 1/4 pounds):
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons, plus as needed extra virgin olive oil
- One hour prior to baking, place a pizza stone on the lowest shelf of a 550°F oven.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and reserve.
- Saute pancetta until it releases some fat and just begins to get crispy. Remove, drain off fat and reserve.
- On a floured peel, form dough into four 9-inch circles. Cover with barely overlapping potato slices. Divide pancetta between all pizzas, strewing dice all over surface. Bake until done, top with cheese and serve.
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in bowl of a standing mixer. Add water and olive oil and mix with dough attachment until just blended. Switch to a dough hook and knead at medium/low speed for about 5 minutes, or until dough cleans sides of bowl and gathers smoothly around dough hook. Remove dough to a lightly floured board and knead by hand about 1 minute or less to bring together. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat dough with oil, cover with plastic wrap and ferment until doubled in bulk, about 60 to 90 minutes. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board with dough scraper and divide into quarters. Form each quarter into a ball, trying not to deflate too much. Place balls apart on a floured tray and dust tops with flour. Cover with plastic and proof until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Gently form dough into a circle, trying not to deflate. Keep floured and place on a well floured peel to slide pizza into oven.
- Note: Dough can be mixed in a bowl and kneaded by hand for about 10 minutes until smooth.