- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- 1 cup Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cooked, riced
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- yogurt, as needed
Yogurt (Yield 2 3/4 gallons):
- 2 gallons milk
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- 1 quart yogurt culture (or an older batch of yogurt)
- Heat sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan until butter melts, then remove from heat and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast and water and rest for 5 minutes to reactivate yeast.
- Add yeast mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Beat potato puree and egg in bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment until just combined, then add butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add flour and beat until combined, then remove to a bowl and ferment in a warm, dry place until doubled in size.
- Roll dough into a 1/2-inch thick sheet, then cut it into 1 1/2-inch squares. Fry in 350*F oil, flipping once, until light golden brown on both sides.
- Spoon yogurt into center of plate and top with beignet and serve.
- Scald milk and heavy cream in a heavy-bottomed pot. Remove from heat and cool to 100°F. Add yogurt culture. Transfer to a metal container and float in a hot water bath to maintain 100°F temperature until yogurt separates, about 4 hours. Strain and reserve, refrigerated.