Lobster Cocktail with Roasted Garlic Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 lb. live lobster
- 1-1/4 lb. Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives, plus 8 whole chives for garnish
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Crimp the edges of a 6-inch square of foil to form a loose pouch. Place the garlic in the pouch and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, until
- softened. Let cool for 10 minutes; peel the cloves.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Plunge the lobster in head first, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the lobster to a bowl of cold water and let stand for 2 minutes. Shell the lobster and discard the vein that runs down the tail. Cut the tail and claw meat into 3/4-inch chunks and put in a bowl. (The lobster can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 6 hours. Let the garlic stand at room temperature.)
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan; add water to cover and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Pass the potatoes and roasted garlic through a food mill or mash them with a potato masher. Beat in the butter, heavy cream, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; keep warm.
- In a medium nonreactive skillet, bring the orange, lemon and lime juices, tarragon, minced chives and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to a boil over high heat. Add the lobster and stir until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the coriander.
- To serve, divide the mashed potatoes among 4 parfait or stemmed glasses. Spoon one-quarter of the lobster and citrus sauce into each glass and garnish each serving with 2 chives.
Yield: 4 servings
Osteria di Tramonto, Tramonto’s Steak & Seafood, RT Lounge, Tru