Idaho® Potato Caribbean Vichyssoise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, roughly chopped
- 1 hot chile (such as Scotch bonnet), seeds and veins removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 1 stalk lemongrass, rough outer parts discarded, tender interior finely minced
- 4 large Idaho® potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 leeks, washed well, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 Idaho® potato, peeled, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 (15 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Hot chile peppers, seeds and interior veins removed, diced
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sweat onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, apple, chile, lemon zest and lemongrass until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes; stir to combine. Add stock; bring to a boil. Simmer gently until potatoes are very tender.
- Transfer potatoes to food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Return potatoes to soup pot, stirring until smooth, bring to a simmer. Add leeks, diced potato, coconut milk and heavy cream. Cook until diced potato is just tender. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice to taste, additional diced chile if desired, salt and pepper. Serve hot or chilled.
Yield: 8 servings