Hashbrown Veggie Melt
Monica Kass Rogers
This Hashbrown Veggie Melt packs low-fat cheese and assorted fresh vegetables into a satisfying and savory dish.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced Idaho® potatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices potato-chive bread or hearty Italian bread
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan-garlic spread (made with 2 teaspoons butter, finely minced garlic and 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese blend (2 tablespoons part-skim mozzarella and 2 tablespoons 2% milk cheddar cheese)
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- Lightly oil a griddle. Add the potatoes and cook for 4 - 5 minutes until golden brown. Turn the potatoes over, season with the salt or seasoning salt and pepper and continue cooking for another minute.
- Using the sides of the bread that will face outward, spread both slices with the Parmesan-garlic spread. Grill until golden brown. Top one of the slices of bread with the shredded cheese, allowing it to melt. Cover if necessary.
- Place the green pepper, mushrooms and tomato on the lightly oiled griddle and sauté for a few minutes.
- To assemble, place the browned potatoes on the slice of bread without the cheese, add the cooked vegetables, then place the other slice of bread, melted cheese face down, on top of the sandwich. Remove from the griddle, cut in half diagonally and serve immediately.
Yield: 1 serving
Sodium: 966 mg
Fat: 25 g
Protein: 17 g
Cholesterol: 40.5 g