Dos Caminos Carnitas and Potato Hash Cakes
- 1-1/2 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled
- 3/4 cup (3.5 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 10 ounces raw beef or pork chorizo
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) diced white onion
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1 package (16 oz.) refrigerated cooked carnitas
- Cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Crumbled cotijo cheese
- Fresh oregano leaves
- Hot sauce
- Shred potatoes on large holes of a box grater or food processor. Rinse in a large bowl of cold water and drain in a colander 3-4 times until water runs clear. Squeeze very dry in a towel. There should be about 5 cups potatoes.
- Cook chorizo and onions, break chorizo into small chunks. Cook until chorizo is cooked through and onions are softened.
- Whisk flour and eggs. Stir in potatoes and cooked chorizo with onions.
- Heat 1/4-inch oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. When a shred of potato sizzles in the oil, scoop potato mixture by 3/4 cupful into the pan. Flatten to about 6-inch circle. Make as many hash cakes as fit in the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes per side until well-browned and cooked through. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Heat carnitas per package directions. Serve a portion of carnitas over hot potato hash cakes. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, cotijo cheese, oregano leaves and hot sauce on the side.