Idaho® Potato Baked Breakfast Cups with Bacon
- 1 pound (about 3) Idaho® potatoes, peeled, boiled, drained and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 or 5 pieces of bacon, fried or grilled and chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs (to mix into potatoes)
- 4 eggs, preferably organic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Special equipment: four 4" ramekins
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Butter the ramekins and set aside. While the potatoes are still warm, add the salt, softened butter, milk and 2 eggs and mix until well combined.
- Press some of the potato mixture into the bottom of each ramekin, then sprinkle with one quarter of the chopped bacon and top with more potatoes.
- With a fork, make a well in the center of the potatoes, without touching the bacon, pushing the potatoes to the side of the ramekin.
- If baking immediately, crack an egg into the well, sprinkle with salt and pepper and spray with a little olive oil. If making ahead of time to bake later, cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours, and skip the next step; bring to room temperature before baking.
- Place the ramekins on a baking tray and put in the center of the oven for approximately 18 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked, but the yolks are still a little runny. Eggs will continue to cook once they have been removed from the oven.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
- Tip: *Be sure to add salt to the water when boiling the potatoes.