Mee Goreng (Mamak Style)
Stir-fried yellow noodles combined with red Idaho® potatoes, tofu, beans sprouts, and eggs, tossed in an irresistible sticky, sour, spicy, savory and sweet sauce. A popular Indian Mamak-style street food noodle dish from Malaysia!
Read MinShien's full post here.
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water, more if needed
- 12 ounce yellow noodles, fresh
- 1 red Idaho® potatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-5 red chilies, chopped and deseeded
- 1 cup fried tofu or regular tofu, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 lime, wedges
- In a small bowl, bring together sauce ingredients (use only 1 tablespoon of water). Whisk to combine.
- Loosen up yellow noodles if they are clumped together.
- Bring sliced red Idaho® potatoes to a bowl filled with warm water and heat in microwave for 60-90 seconds, or until they are soft. Alternatively, you can boil potatoes on the stovetop.
- Add vegetable oil to wok or frying pan and heat over high heat.
- Add garlic, red chilies, tofu, and red Idaho® potatoes. Stir until garlic is fragrant.
- Before garlic turns brown, add the sauce mixture to the wok.
- Mix everything together and stir continuously for a minute or so, then add the yellow noodles. Stir to coat noodles in sauce, then add bean sprouts.
- Move noodles to the side of the wok and break two eggs onto the side where there are no noodles. Use a spatula to break the egg yolks and let them cook for 30 seconds or so before covering the eggs with the noodles. Let sit for 10-15 seconds. Add another tablespoon of water if noodles are too dry.
- Stir for 15-20 seconds or until the eggs are cooked, then remove from the heat.
- Garnish with lettuce and a wedge of lime. Serve and enjoy!
The stir fry process (step 3-8) goes fast! Get ingredients ready and sit them next to the stovetop before stir frying begins.
Substitution Suggestions (if you are unable to find some of these ingredients):
Yellow noodles – substitute with any other noodles
Beans sprouts – substitute with other crunchy veggies
Red chilies – use red pepper flakes instead