Chilled Idaho® Potato & Watercress Soup
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 cups leeks, rinsed, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups onion, yellow, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled, large diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock, simmering
- 1 sprig thyme, fresh
- 1 each bay leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream, simmered
- 2 bunches watercress, cleaned, rinsed, steamed, shocked, then pureed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chives, chopped
- In a medium stock pot over medium high heat melt butter.
- Add leeks & onion and sweat until translucent.
- Dust with flour and incorporate.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, and aromatics (but not watercress puree).
- Simmer soup for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add scalded cream.
- Puree mixture and pass through a coarse strainer.
- Cool immediately.
- When chilled add watercress puree, and chives.
- Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper. Garnish with a sprig of watercress.