Cheese Stuffed Potato Balls
Cheese Stuffed Potato Balls are a favorite with kids – stuffed with spinach, bacon, and, of course, cheese! Crispy on the outside and full of melted, gooey cheese on the inside.
- 5 medium-sized Idaho® potatoes or use about 3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup organic spinach, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces mild or sharp cheddar cheese cut into equal-sized cubes
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups oil for frying (I like to use avocado or grapeseed oil)
(Skip to step 3 if using leftover mashed potatoes)
- Place whole potatoes in a medium-sized pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are soft inside when you insert a knife, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and let cool. Peel potatoes and grate.
- In a large bowl combine 3 cups of grated or mashed potatoes, bacon pieces, spinach, eggs, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
- Using a small ice cream scoop place one scoop of mashed potato mixture into your hand, top with one cheese cube and then add another scoop of potato mixture on top.
- Form a ball and roll in panko bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Deep fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.