Wonton Cups with Mashed Idaho® Potatoes, Bacon and Chives
These wonton cups with mashed potatoes are the perfect party bite. They’re topped with bacon and chives for extra flavor.
- 50 to 60 round wonton wrappers*
- cooking spray
- 2 pounds russet Idaho® potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces white cheddar, shredded
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tablespoons chives, chopped, plus more for topping
- 6 to 8 strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 12-cup mini muffin tins pans cooking spray. Line each cup with a wonton wrapper. Bake wontons for 8 to 9 minutes, until the edges of the cup brown. Let the wonton cups cool on a rack. Repeat until all the wonton cups are prepared.
- Peel potatoes and chop into ½-inch cubes. Add potato cubes to a pot and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Add a large pinch of salt to the water. Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Mash potatoes and stir in butter cubes until they melt. Add milk and cheddar and stir until everything is incorporated. Mix in the chives and adjust the seasoning to your taste. Let the potatoes cool while you cook the bacon.
- Cook the bacon. When they are cool enough to handle, chop them into smaller pieces.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into each wonton cup. You can also pipe the mashed potatoes into a wonton cup if you want them to look neater. Top each cup with bacon pieces and chives. Serve and enjoy!
*NOTE : If you can’t find round wonton wrappers, use square wonton wrappers and cut off a bit of each corner. Make sure that your wrappers are relatively thin. You don’t want to use thick pot sticker wrappers. The wonton cups can be prepared up to 2 to 3 days ahead.