Mini Idaho® Potato & Salmon Pancakes
- 2 cups Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes, prepared according to package directions and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Additional oil for frying
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup pieces)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded (1/2 cup shreds)
- 6 1/2-ounce can boneless, skinless salmon, drained, OR 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped, OR 4 ounces cooked salmon, flaked
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- In medium mixing bowl, stir egg into mashed potatoes; set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté shallots in 1 teaspoon olive oil 2 minutes, or until shallots begin to brown. Add celery and cook another minute. Remove from heat and add vegetables to potato mixture. Add carrots and salmon to potatoes. Season to taste; chill.
- When thoroughly chilled, form small patties using 2 tablespoons of potato breadcrumbs each.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot (not smoking), cook patties in several batches, 3 - 4 minutes, or until well browned on each side.
- Serve with plain yogurt or sour cream and chopped green onions (or scallions) or, for a more elegant presentation, top with cream fraiche and salmon roe.
Yield: 26 mini pancakes
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)