Mini Idaho® Potato & Salmon Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups instant Mashed Idaho® potatoes, prepared according to package directions and cooled
- ½ cup shallots or onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil + more for frying
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (½ cup pieces)
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded (½ cup shreds)
- 6 ½-ounce can boneless, skinless salmon, drained, OR 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped, OR 4 ounces cooked salmon, flaked
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Optional garnishes: yogurt, sour cream, chopped green onions or scallions, crème fraîche, salmon roe
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir the egg into mashed potatoes; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté shallots in 1 teaspoon olive oil until shallots begin to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add celery and cook another minute. Remove from heat and add vegetables to potato mixture.
- Stir in carrots and salmon to potatoes. Season to taste; chill.
- When thoroughly chilled, form small patties mixing 2 tablespoons of potato breadcrumbs into each.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot (not smoking), cook patties in several batches adding more oil as needed, 3-4 minutes, or until well browned on each side.
- Serve with plain yogurt or sour cream and chopped green onions (or scallions) or, for a more elegant presentation, top with crème fraîche and salmon roe.
Yield: 26 mini pancakes
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)