TACKLING TATER TACOS SCORE THE GRAND PRIZE IN THE IDAHO POTATO COMMISSION'S TAILGATING RECIPE CONTEST
The Grand Prize winning recipe, Tackling Tater Tacos, uses spiced Idaho® potatoes to create a delicious and unique tailgating dish
EAGLE, Idaho (December 16, 2015) -- Hungry football fans across the country entered the Idaho Potato Commission’s (IPC) first-ever Tailgating Recipe Contest for a chance to win an all-expense paid trip to the Famous Idaho® Potato Bowl in Boise on December 22. Hundreds of “spudtacular” recipes were entered, but Crystal Schlueter’s Tackling Tater Tacos, with spiced Idaho® potatoes drizzled with a delectable chipotle honey slaw and irresistible chorizo crema, won over the hearts…and stomachs of the judges.
“As the naming sponsor of the Famous Idaho® Potato Bowl, which is in its sixth year, we wanted to know how football fans enjoy their Idaho® potatoes at tailgating events either at home or at the stadium,” explained Frank Muir, President and CEO, IPC. “The entries we received are fantastic and truly demonstrate the versatility of the Idaho® potato. Congratulations to Crystal and thank you to everyone who entered.”
College football sideline reporter, Heather Cox, helped kick off the contest in October and cast her vote for the best recipe. “I’ve always loved to tailgate especially when Idaho® potatoes are on the menu,” said Cox. “Tackling Tater Tacos embody the perfect tailgating recipe – they’re easy to prepare and serve, and taste amazing!”
Corn tortillas are topped with spicy, diced Idaho® potatoes that have been pan fried until crispy golden brown and fork tender. The crunchy jicama/bell pepper slaw and flavored-packed chorizo crema are spooned onto the potatoes, and then sprinkled with queso fresco and cilantro.
Tackling Tater Tacos with Honey Chipotle Slaw and Chorizo Crema
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Large Idaho® potatoes, washed & diced
1/2 Cup finely chopped sweet onion
Several pinches salt and black pepper, divided
3 Cloves minced garlic
1 Tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 Tsp smoked paprika
1/2 Tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tsp ground coriander
1 Tsp oregano
3 Oz. bulk chorizo
1 Cup Mexican crema
1 Medium jicama, peeled and julienned
1 Cup sliced baby bell pepper rings
2 Minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Juice of two limes
1 Tbsp honey
6 Corn tortillas
3/4 Cup crumbled queso fresco
2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are crispy around the edges.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, cook the chorizo, crumbling it as finely as possible. Drain chorizo then allow it to cool completely.
- Stir the cooled chorizo into the crema.
- In a small bowl combine the jicama and bell pepper rings to make the slaw. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chipotle peppers, lime juice, and honey. Toss to coat.
- Top each tortilla with the potato mixture followed by the slaw. Add a spoonful of the chorizo crema and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings
Five runners-up will each receive $500:
Potato and Steak Mini Egg Rolls with Creamy Steak Sauce
Bridget Mooney of Chicago, IL
Blue Forty-Two Potato Kabobs
Carmell Childs of North Ferron, UT
Beer Blue Cheese Au Gratin Potatoes with Buffalo Crust
Kim Banick of Salem, OR
Chicken Stuffed Potato Puffs with Honey Chipotle Drizzle
Ashley Walker of Church, VA
Potato Soft Pretzel Bites
Annalise Herrera of Lawrence, KS
Look for all the winning recipes online at http://idahopotato.com.