CELEBRATE NATIONAL ICE CREAM MONTH WITH VEGAN COCONUT & BLACKBERRY IDAHO® POTATO ICE CREAM
EAGLE, ID (June 26, 2017) With National Ice Cream Month fast approaching, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) is thrilled to share the best-kept secret ingredient to America’s favorite thick and creamy dessert. You guessed it! Idaho® potatoes! The IPC is featuring multiple Idaho® Potato Ice Cream recipes on their website throughout the month of July in honor of National Ice Cream Month.
With one 5.3 ounce Idaho® potato offering more potassium than a banana, this superfood is an incredibly nutritious and a delicious dairy-free alternative to the traditional decadent treat.
Our favorite, Vegan Coconut & Blackberry Idaho® Potato Ice Cream is made with fresh, plump blackberries and Idaho® potatoes, blended with coconut and sugar, all churned in an ice cream maker. You might want to double the quantity because this sweet treat is the perfect solution to cooling off on a hot summer day – without the guilt of unnecessary calories.
Vegan Coconut & Blackberry Idaho® Potato Ice Cream
- 10 ounces Idaho® russet potatoes
- 12 ounces fresh blackberries
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vodka (to keep ice cream from icing up)
- Heat oven to 400’F. Prick potato in several spots and bake on a cookie sheet until skin begins to crisp and potato has a little give when squeezed, about 40 minutes. (You may also cook the potato in the microwave.)
- Cool until the potato is comfortable to touch. Peel off skin.
- Place peeled potato, blackberries, coconut milk, sugar, and vodka in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Press blended mixture through a sieve to strain out blackberry seeds.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
For more Idaho® potato ice cream recipes please visit the Idaho® potato website.
About the Idaho Potato Commission
Established in 1937, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) is a state agency responsible for promoting and protecting the famous “Grown in Idaho®” seal, a federally registered certification mark that assures consumers they are purchasing genuine, top-quality Idaho® potatoes. Idaho's growing season of warm days and cool nights, ample mountain-fed irrigation and rich volcanic soil, give Idaho® potatoes their unique texture, taste and dependable performance, that differentiates Idaho® potatoes from potatoes grown in other states.