Yukon Gold, Ham, and Gruyère Gallet
- 10 ounces of ready made pastry dough, or freshly made short crust pastry
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of thinly sliced ham
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 pound Yukon Gold Idaho® potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten to make an egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and position and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Roll the dough into a 13-inch round and transfer it to the baking sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the butter in the sauce-pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool while you prepare the potatoes.
- Combine the cooled onion mixture, grated Gruyère cheese, ham, thyme and sliced potatoes in the large bowl. Season with ground black pepper, and fold together until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Mound the filling in the center of the chilled pastry, leaving a 1½-inch border at the edge. Fold the pastry border up around the filling; just enough to create a boarder, taking care to preserve the circular shape.
- Drizzle the olive oil across the filling, and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Lightly brush the pastry border with an egg wash before baking for 45-50 minutes.