- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 large Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped in cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound prepared masa for tortillas
- oil for frying
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 5 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- cilantro springs
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté onion until tender. Add ground beef, potatoes, salt and pepper and cook until beef is browed and potatoes are tender. Set to the side.
- Shape masa into 4-inch patties, pinching the edges up and shaping them in to ½-inch trim.
- Place a deep frying pan over low-medium heat. Pour enough oil to fill ¼ of the way up.
- When oil has reached 325°F, carefully place masa patties in the hot oil. Fry on each side for 90 seconds or until patty is golden. Remove from hot oil and place in a paper-towel lined dish. Repeat until all masa patties have been fried.
- To assemble, place 3 tablespoons of ground beef mixture on top of each fried masa patty. Top with shredded cabbage, chopped tomato, cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of queso fresco. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 Servings