Western Shepherd's Pie
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 ½ cups medium heat green salsa, divided
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped green chilies, medium heat
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place chopped onion on the bottom of a 12-cup or larger Crockpot. Add chicken thighs, beans and corn. In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup salsa, chilies, garlic and cumin. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces to a plate and using two forks, pull the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in cilantro.
- Peel potatoes, quarter, and place in a medium pan, add salt, cover with water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook potatoes until fork-soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and keep in pan.
- At this point, move one oven rack to 6-inches from broiler, and the other to the bottom rung. Turn broiler to high. Place a 3 qt. casserole dish on the bottom rack to heat up while you prepare the potatoes.
- To the drained potatoes in the pot, add sour cream and remaining ½ cup salsa. Using a measuring cup or soup ladle, scoop a half-cup of liquid from the chili, add to potatoes and mash quickly with an electric beater. Continue to add chili liquid to the potatoes a little at a time until whipped creamy. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Remove casserole dish from oven, scoop the chili into the hot dish, top with mashed potatoes and use a fork to spread the potatoes to seal to the edge, then place about under the broiler for at least 5 minutes, watching carefully to not over-brown. Serve immediately.