Vegan Savory Mashed Potato Waffles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk (¼ cup non-dairy milk with ¼ teaspoon lemon juice, allow to sit for 15 minutes)
- 2 egg replacers*
- 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes**
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions or chives (omit if your mashed potatoes already have herbs or onions)
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten free, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
*Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg works great, you can also use EnerG or make your own: 1 egg = 1 tablespoon ground chia/flax seed mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water, allow to thicken
**If your mashed potatoes are plain, add in 1 teaspoon powdered garlic as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the waffle maker and grease it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vegan buttermilk and egg replacer. Stir in mashed potatoes, scallions and vegan cheese until well-combined. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, if using.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold the flour mixture into the potato mixture until well-combined.
- Scoop 1/2 to 2/3 cup (depending on the size of your waffle maker) of the mixture into the prepared waffle maker, spreading it into an even layer. (The potato mixture will not spread or expand as much as a regular waffle, so it's important to spread it evenly.) Close the lid and let the waffle bake until golden brown.
- Repeat the previous step with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve the potato waffles topped with vegan sour cream and garnished with additional chopped scallions or chives.
Cook’s Tip: If your waffle is too wet, add more flour to the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time until you get a doughy consistency.