Idaho® Potato Mini Lasagnas with Pesto and Kale
- 1 bunch kale, curly or Tuscan (dinosaur)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed (do not peel)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk or part-skim)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- Equipment: 12-cup muffin pan
- Wash the kale well and strip the leaves from the stems (discard the stems). Chop the leaves finely. It's okay if some water clings to the kale leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and kale and saute about 5 minutes, until the kale is wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the potatoes paper-thin. (It's easiest to do this with a mandoline, v-slicer or food processor.) Toss the potato slices with the salt and let sit about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, pesto sauce and egg together.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Assemble the mini lasagnas: Spray each cup of the muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, or brush it with olive oil. Build the lasagnas in layers in each muffin cup, starting with a layer of potato slices, then adding a small dollop of the ricotta-pesto mixture, a teaspoon of cooked kale, a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkle of grated parmesan or Romano cheese. Continue building the mini lasagnas in this manner, finishing each one with a layer of potato slices and a sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake the mini lasagnas about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, the cheese is golden brown and the lasagnas are cooked through. Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes before attempting to remove from the pan. Use a small offset spatula or blunt knife to unmold the mini lasagnas and transfer to serving plates. Serve immediately.