Vegan Mashed Idaho® Potatoes With Vegan Mushroom & Onion Gravy
- 1 ½ pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 3/4 cup soy creamer or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup sunflower oil, plus 1 tablespoon for sautéing the onion
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into slivers or half-moons
- 1 ½ cups sliced Bella or Crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried parsley
- Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until the potatoes are fork tender, 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the basket of potatoes from the pot and set aside. Drain the water and return the potatoes to the warm pot.
- Add the non-dairy butter and soy creamer or almond milk and salt to the potatoes. Using a masher combine the ingredients mash until smooth. Serve with vegan mushroom onion gravy.
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown rice flower and sunflower oil and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium high and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook stirring frequently until the onions begin to caramelize and brown slightly.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside. Add the mushroom to the pan and sauté them until they begin to shrink and turn brown.
- Add the onions back into the pan, stir to combine with the mushrooms then reduce the heat to simmer and add the vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, Tamari and dried parsley.
- Bring to a simmer then stir in the brown rice flour and sunflower oil mixture. Stir until thickened, season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.
These are the smooth, fluffy delicious mashed potatoes you dream of only better because they are cholesterol- free and vegan! Use soy creamer for the ultimate creamy potatoes or substitute the creamer with almond milk for a lighter version.