- 1 ½ pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 3/4 cup soy creamer or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Vegan Mushroom & Onion Gravy Ingredients
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup sunflower oil, plus 1 tablespoon for sautéing the onion
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into slivers or half-moons
- 1 ½ cups sliced Bella or Crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried parsley
- Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until the potatoes are fork tender, 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the basket of potatoes from the pot and set aside. Drain the water and return the potatoes to the warm pot.
- Add the non-dairy butter and soy creamer or almond milk and salt to the potatoes. Using a masher combine the ingredients mash until smooth. Serve with vegan mushroom onion gravy.
Vegan Mushroom & Onion Gravy Directions
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown rice flower and sunflower oil and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium high and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and cook stirring frequently until the onions begin to caramelize and brown slightly.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside. Add the mushroom to the pan and sauté them until they begin to shrink and turn brown.
- Add the onions back into the pan, stir to combine with the mushrooms then reduce the heat to simmer and add the vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, Tamari and dried parsley.
- Bring to a simmer then stir in the brown rice flour and sunflower oil mixture. Stir until thickened, season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.