Creamy Carrot Mashed Potatoes with Pecans
A simple and delicious addition to the holiday table, this fragrant side dish is infused with nutmeg and cinnamon and topped with brown butter toasted pecans.
- 2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes (or Yukon golds)
- 8 ounces carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 ounces goat cheese (or sub cream cheese)
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1½” cubes or slices – no need to peel if using thin-skinned Yukons.
- Peel and slice carrots into ½’ thick disks – don’t cut too big or they will cook slower than the potatoes.
- Place both in a pot of water with the cinnamon stick, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender enough to mash.
- Make the pecan topping by melting the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans, toasting them lightly while letting butter brown just lightly, until golden and fragrant.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and return to the pot, removing the cinnamon stick. Mash with a potato masher, then whip them a bit with the masher.
- Stir in the goat cheese, milk, butter, salt and spices. Taste and adjust salt.
- Place into a serving dish, and with the back of a spoon, create a well. Pour the toasted nuts and brown butter in the well and serve immediately, or keep warm in the oven, covered with foil.