Baked Harissa Fries
This lightened up version is made with both potatoes and sweet potatoes and seasoned with North African Spices before going into the oven to bake. Serve it with Harissa Aioli!
- 1 sweet potato or yam (¾ lb)
- 1 russet Idaho® potato (¾ pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- ⅓ cup mayo or vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (optional, or sub cayenne or chili flakes)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar – apple cider, red wine or white
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut potatoes and sweet potatoes into thin ⅓” strips – no need to peel.
- Place in bowl and toss well with the olive oil.
- Place spices and salt in a small bowl and mix to combine, then toss all with the boiled potatoes.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan (or on a cooling rack over a sheet pan) in the oven for 15 minutes. Give a toss to turn them over, then continue baking another 15 minutes, or until tender.
- In the meantime, make the harissa aioli by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and stirring well.
- When the harissa fries are tender, pull from the oven and taste for salt, adding more if needed.
- Serve immediately with the aioli and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro or parsley for color!