Vegan Hasselback Potato with Red Pepper Jelly and Caramelized Onions
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 large Spanish yellow onion, finely julienned
- 1 teaspoon salt
Red Pepper Jelly
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, small dice
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons apple pectin powder
- 3 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium (70-count) Idaho® Russet Potato, unpeeled
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Caramelized Onions (see recipe)
- Red Pepper Jelly (see recipe)
- Whole parsley, mint and cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Generously coat the bottom of a medium sauté pan with olive oil; heat on low.
- Add onion and salt and cook over low heat until onions are a deep mahogany color, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Directions: Red Pepper Jelly
- In a small bowl, mix the bell peppers with the red pepper flakes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the pectin and 1/4 cup of the sugar; set aside.
- In a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot, combine the pepper mixture, cider vinegar, butter (if using), salt and remaining 3 cups sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then continue to boil vigorously, stirring occasionally, until it just begins to thicken into a jelly, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the pectin mixture, whisking constantly. Return jelly to a vigorous boil while stirring constantly. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before transferring to a container and refrigerating until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the potato on a cutting board and place a chopstick along each long side of the potato to prevent your knife from cutting all the way through the potato. Make straight, even slices across the width of the potato, cutting every 1/4 inch from end to end.
- Generously coat the potato, including inside the slices, with olive oil and salt. Then fill inside each slice with some caramelized onion and a small amount of red pepper jelly (one potato should use about 2 tablespoons of jelly).
- Wrap the potato in aluminum foil and bake until fork-tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and brush the top of the potato with 2 tablespoons of warmed red pepper jelly. Garnish with whole parsley, mint and cilantro leaves.