Pan Seared Scallop BLT
- 2-3 Idaho® potatoes - large
- 12 jumbo sea scallops
- 1/4 lb pancetta (Italian bacon) thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb arugula
- 4 plum tomatoes sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs
- 1 tablespoon shallots or onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the mayonnaise and lemon juice together, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Peel the potatoes. Slice the potatoes into strips approximately 5 inches long by 3/4 of an inch wide and 1/8 of an inch thick. (Use a mandoline if accessible.)
- Spread 1/2 cup of olive oil evenly onto a 12 by 24 inch sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper- Lay 3 potato slices vertically, parallel to each other and 3/4 of an inch apart. Lay 3 more potato slice horizontally on top of first three, also parallel and 1/4 of an inch apart forming a lattice. (We like to call it a potato fence.) Repeat procedure until you have eight fences on the sheet pan.
- Place sheet pan in oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until bottom potatoes start to brown. With a metal spatula, carefully flip each fence over. Cook for another 10 minutes until all potatoes are a light golden brown. Remove potatoes from sheet pan and place on paper towels to blot the oil. Note: If potatoes won't stick together, baste with an egg wash.
- While preparing potatoes, cook the pancetta on a sheet pan for 20 minutes or until crisp. Remove the blot on the paper towels.
- Toss the tomatoes in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, herbs, and shallot, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1/8 cup of oil and cook 6 scallops till golden brown on both sides. Remove scallops from pan and repeat with remaining oil and scallops. Wipe out sauté pan with a clean rag and quickly cook reserve tomatoes in the same pan for approximately 2 minutes.
- Build your BLT sandwich with 4 potato fences in the center of 4 plates, then divide 1/4 of the tomatoes, scallops, pancetta, and arugula on top of the fences. Place remaining 4 fences on top. Drizzle lemon mayonnaise around each BLT.