Tortilla Soup to the Rescue
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small carrots (peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 stalk of celery (cut into tiny pieces)
- 2 to 3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce ( cut into thin slices)
- 9 cups of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 3 Idaho® potatoes (peeled, and sliced into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 large zucchini (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3 cups chopped chicken or turkey (cooked)
- 2 cups black beans (cooked and rinsed well)
- queso fesco
- tortilla chips or strips
- In a large pot over a medium high flame, add olive oil and allow to get hot. Add carrots and sauté in oil for 5 minutes, mixing every so often. Add onions to carrots and continue to sauté for 4 to 6 minutes, then add in celery and chipotle. Mix well and sauté for another 3 minutes or until onion is limp and chipotle chile is completely mixed into veggie mixture.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Once broth is boiling add in potatoes and cover pot with lid. Let potatoes boil for 5 minutes, then add in the zucchini to the soup and let boil for 10 minutes, don’t forget to cover the pot with the lid. Lastly add in corn, chicken or turkey, and black beans, allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place soup in a bowl and garnish with fresh lime juice, cilantro, and a few chunks of queso fresco, avocado and broken corn tortilla chips. ENJOY!!!!!
Yield: 12 bowls or 24 cups