Margaret's Vegan Shepherd's Pie
A NACUFS Vegetarian Recipe Contest Winner.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces onions, whole peeled, medium dice
- 12.5 ounces organic edamame
- 10 ounces green pepper, fresh, medium dice
- 10 ounces red peppers, medium dice
- 1 pound + 4 ounces eggplant, fresh, medium dice
- 1 pound + 4 ounces zucchini squash, medium dice
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 3/4 ounces garlic, peeled
- 2-1/3 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ounce cumin powder
- 5/8 teaspoon salt
- 5/8 teaspoon black pepper
- .63 Bt 32 ounces silk soymilk
- 3 pounds + 2 ounces whipped fresh mashed potatoes
- Saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes; add cumin, curry, salt and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, peppers, edamame and tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Transfer ingredients to a 2-inch hotel pan; cover and set aside until needed.
- Follow mashed potato recipe but replace milk and butter with soymilk and soy butter.
- Spread potatoes on top of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with soy Parm cheese and grated soy cheese.
- Bake in oven at 400° F until lightly browned on top.
- (Vegan use dehydrated potato flakes; mix with soymilk, soy butter, salt and pepper to taste.)
Yield: 50 servings