West Town Tavern Idaho
- 1 pound Idaho® russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 gallon canola oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons reduced balsamic syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon white-truffle oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Balsamic Syrup
- Yield: Approximately 1 cup
- 1 quart balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dark-brown sugar
- Scrub potatoes; pat dry. Using mandoline, slice potatoes crosswise into slices 1/6-inch thick.
- Heat canola oil to 350°F. Deep-fry potatoes until crisp and golden. Drain potatoes; transfer to large bowl.
- Drizzle potatoes with balsamic syrup and white-truffle oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan and rosemary. Season chips with salt and pepper. Toss well to distribute seasonings. Serve immediately.
- Notes: Chips may be made up to 24 hours ahead of service. Rosemary may be chopped and cheese grated ahead. Toss chips with the seasoning just before serving.
- Combine vinegar and brown sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until reduced by three-quarters. Let cool before using; reserve refrigerated.
- Note: Balsamic syrup may be made a week ahead of service.
Yield: 1 shared appetizer or 2 side-dish servings
New Orleans, LA