Spiced Idaho® Potato & Carrot Latkes
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
- ¼ cup matzo meal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- Place onion, potatoes and carrots in a cheesecloth-lined colander set over large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, squeezing occasionally. Drain off and discard all liquid in the bowl except white starch paste that settles at bottom.
- Add onion, potatoes, carrots, eggs, ¼ cup parsley, matzo meal, butter, salt, za’atar, baking powder (if using), pepper and cumin to the bowl with reserved starch; stir to combine.
- In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Using a tablespoon, spoon potato mixture into skillet, using about 3 tablespoons per latke. (Skillet should hold about 3 latkes at a time.) Flatten mixture slightly with a spatula. Cook latkes 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes or until brown, crisp and cooked through.
- Remove latkes from the skillet, then transfer them to a serving platter and keep warm in a 300° F oven until serving.
- Cook remaining latkes in batches, using 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet for each batch. Serve latkes with yogurt and remaining ¼ cup parsley.