Idaho® Potato, Carrot and Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces Maitake mushrooms, chopped*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chopped onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add potatoes, carrots, white pepper, thyme, cumin and cayenne.and cook for another minute, stirring continuously to prevent sticking. Pour in broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter (coconut oil or vegetable oil for vegan) until all liquid is cooked off and mushrooms are crispy, brown bits.
- Remove soup from heat, allow to cool slightly. Puree in a blender, then return to pot to reheat. Serve hot and garnish with caramelized mushroom and green onions.
* Crimini or brown mushrooms may be substituted. I used homemade vegetable broth and don't add salt during cooking - salt can be added at the table for those not on a low sodium diet. You may add ½ teaspoon of salt during cooking, if desired.
Yield: 5 servings