Parmesan Mashed Potatoes with Quick Sausage Ragu
- 1-½ pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1-½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- ½ medium white onion, finely diced
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed if necessary
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed if necessary
- 2-½ cups whole milk, divided
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, plus additional for garnish
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place potato chunks in a large pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery and onion; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown, stirring frequently. Add sausage; cook 7 to 9 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking up sausage with side of spoon occasionally.
- Stir in 2 cups milk, tomato paste and ½ teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- When potatoes are tender, drain well and place in large bowl. Add cheese, butter, pepper, remaining ½ cup milk and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Divide potatoes between 6 bowls or plates; divide ragu over potatoes. Serve garnished with parsley and additional cheese.