Smoky Idaho® Potato Eyes
- 12 Idaho® Potato purple fingerlings (You can use any color fingerlings or an assortment.)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 10 to 12 green olives stuffed with red pimentos, sliced thinly
- Cook the potatoes until tender. I cooked mine in the Instant Pot on high for 10 minutes and manually released the pressure, but you can cook these stove top too.
- Let the potatoes cool, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Use a melon baller or a rounded measuring spoon and scoop out the potato where the avocado eye will live. Be care to not cut through the bottom of the potato.
- Peel and pit the avocados and mash well. Mix in the lemon juice or vinegar to keep the avocado green throughout your party.
- Mix in ½ teaspoon of liquid smoke, taste and add another ½ teaspoon if it’s not smoky enough for you.
- Add salt and mix again.
- Using a small scoop or spoon fill the scooped out area of the potato with the smoky avocado mixture. Repeat until all the potatoes are filled.
- Top the avocado filling with a slice of the olive and serve.