Smashed Idaho® Potato Pizzas (Gluten-free)
- 3 Idaho® potatoes (about 1½ pounds)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt or basil salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic pepper
- pizza toppings (sauce, cheese, vegetables, meat, etc.)
- Scrub potatoes, prick each all over with a fork, and rub with ½ teaspoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt or basil salt per potato.
- Arrange in a ring on a plate and microwave at 100% for 5 minutes.
- Flip each potato and microwave another 5 minutes. If potatoes can’t easily be pierced in the middle with a fork, continue microwaving in 1 minute intervals until soft.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Brush 1 teaspoon olive oil onto a baking sheet to cover. (I use a 14-inch round cast iron baking pan which needs 2 teaspoons of oil to cover.) Cut potatoes in half crosswise and use tongs to place each half, cut side down, on baking sheet. Spray a potato masher with cooking spray and use it to smash each potato half until relatively flat. (Each should be about 5 inches in diameter.) For each pizza, drizzle with ¼ teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon garlic pepper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the edges are starting to look crispy.
- Remove from oven and add your favorite pizza toppings. (Be careful - the pan and the potatoes will be hot.) Return to oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until your toppings are the way you want them.
Time Saving Tip: Use leftover baked potatoes and proceed with the recipe beginning at step 4.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (does not include toppings)
Sodium: 183 mg
Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0
Unsaturated Fat: 0
Trans Fat: 0
Carbs: 20 g
Protein: 2 g